If you’re a Halloween fanatic, but upset because you have to wait till October for the haunt season, have no fear because MONSTERPALOOZA is here.
Monsterpalooza is a yearly horror and makeup work convention that takes palace sometime around late March or early April. This year, like previous years, the event is being held at the Pasadena Convention Center and runs Friday, April 12 to Sunday, April 14. This year the convention is said to house over 250 artists and vendors, hourly panels and presentation, and the famous Monsterpalooza Museum which was absent the previous year but is not making a grand return. With so much to do and so much to see you might be a bit overwhelmed about what to do and where to go so we have decided to give you some tips and tricks to make your Monsterpalooza experience a great one.
What is Monsterpalooza?
Like previously mentioned, Monsterpalooza is a convention that focuses on everything from the art of monster design to the skilled craftsmanship of special effects that are used in movies. One of the big selling points of Monsterpalooza is its exhibitor hall which is home to over 250 artist and vendors. You get a chance to witness live makeup demos done by professional makeup artists who have experience in Film, TV, and Haunt Attractions. This year marks the return of the Monsterpalooza Museum which is a walk-through experience where artists get to display their works which include full-size creatures, hyper-realistic sculptures, screen-used props, monsters, and animatronics. For those who are looking to take a piece of the fun with them then the vendors in the exhibitor hall are where you want to go. From T-shirts of your favorite movie monster to 1:1 replica of the knife Jason Vorhees used to kill camp counselors in Friday the 13th and everything in between the vendors have got what you need. Once you’re done with shopping, why not head over to the Monsterpalooza Theater where you can catch one or all of the many hourly presentations and panels. No convention is complete without celebrity guest in attendance and Monsterpalooza has a plethora of celebrities in attendance such as Paul Reubens (Pee-wee’s Big Adventure), Christian Serratos (The Walking Dead), Scott Ian (Anthrax), and Bruce Campbell (The Evil Dead series) just to name a few. The wide variety of art and vendors to the panels and celebrity appearances Monsterpalooza makes sure that there is something at the event that everyone can enjoy.
When and Where Is Monsterpalooza?
Like previous years, Monsterpalooza will be held at the Pasadena Convention Center which is located at 300 E Green Steet, Pasadena CA 91101. The convention center and many areas around it have paid parking that ranges from price so be sure to look around. This year Monsterpalooza will run Friday through Saturday, April 12 to April 14, with Friday’s event starting at 6:00 PM and ending at around 11:00 PM. Saturday and Sunday the event begins at around 11:00 AM and ends around 6:00 PM. For those guests who are traveling a great distance to the event, Monsterpalooza does have an official hotel that has special rate hotel rooms. The official hotel for Monsterpalooza is The Westin Pasadena which is located at 191 N Los Robles Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101, the hotel is located just a few minutes away from the convention center.
Where Can I Get Tickets/How Much Are Tickets?
There are two ways that you can acquire tickets to the event, the first is to buy online at http://www.monsterpalooza.com/spring/tickets.html the second way is to show up on any of the days of the event and purchase tickets at the Will Call tent. The following are the prices as seen on their website:
Saturday: 35$ (only available at the door)
Sunday: 30$ (At the Door it is 35$)
Unfortunately, at the time of writing this, the only tickets available are for Friday and Sunday Online. We strongly recommend that you purchase tickets online to beat the crowds and save some money. If you plan to attend Saturday make sure to arrive early to purchase tickets at the door, Saturday is the most popular day of the event so take that into account as well.
What Do We Recommend?
To make your trip and time at Monsterpalooza a little more enjoyable here are a few tips that we recommend. The following tips are mere suggestions, you do not have to follow any of these, the most important part is that you enjoy yourself.
- Buy your tickets online
- Don’t be that person that shows up last minute and has to wait to get in when the event has already begun, that is precious time you’re wasting.
- Arrive Early to the Event
- Make sure to get to the convention center early to get a jump on parking and guest who arrive later.
- Go over the Layout of the Map
- Make sure you are somewhat familiar with the event, getting lost on the way to a panel is not ideal as you may miss really good seating, remember to ask the volunteers for help.
- Make Sure You Use Your Time Wisely
- Be sure to plan what you want to do ahead of time whether it be getting an autograph with your favorite celebrity or attending that panel you really want to see. It’s a large convention so you won’t be able to do everything but pick and choose what you want to do.
- Budget Wisely
- If you plan to come home with lots of cool merchandise make sure to budget just how much you want to spend and be sure to walk around first before you buy as there may be something you find in another vendor spot that you can’t find anywhere else.
- Eat Before/After The Event
- Convention food can be expensive so save a couple of bucks by eating before and after the event. The extra money could buy you a t-shirt!
- Have Fun!
- The most important part about attending a convention, whether it be your first or 100th, is to make sure to have fun and enjoy all that Monsterpalooza has to offer.
These are just a few methods that we use whenever we attend conventions to make the most of our time and to ensure that its a good time. Like previously mentioned these are just suggestions, don’t let us rule how you do conventions. For those who are sad that they will not be attending Monsterpalooza, fear not as there are still a few more conventions later in the year that you may attend such at Midsummer Scream in Long Beach and ScareLA located in Los Angeles. For those who are attending Monsterpalooza enjoy the sights, buy merch, watch a few panels, maybe meet a celebrity or two and of course have fun.